- Look in your closet for colors. Do not feel compelled to use the “in” colors. Choose colors that comfort you.
- Collect photos from magazines that reflect your preferred look and style as a starting point.
- Think about the environments – homes, resorts, restaurants in which you have felt most comfortable.
- Invest time in planning upfront so that you are not disappointed with your end result.
- Find a compatible mentor-coach-cheerleader-designer.
- Everything does not, even should not, match exactly.
- Work to create balance and flow.
- Dive in and don’t second-guess yourself.